Caltech Library is hosting its second Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition on March 13, 2018. Originally created by the University of Queensland, this Caltech contest challenges all currently enrolled PhD students to explain their research in an engaging and clear 3-minute talk intended for a non-specialist audience. Participants are allowed to use a single, static Power Point slide as a background image shown during the talk.
Finalists will be selected from the pool of audio submissions to present their talks, live, at the finals on March 13th.
Submissions will be done through this website beginning January 18, 2018.
Important Dates in 2018
- January 18 – February 26: Students submit audio recordings of their talks. Completed submissions must include Author’s Rights Authorization, Student Biography, and Presentation Abstract for Final Competition as well as the uploaded 3-minute audio recording. The Library will review the submissions to determine eligibility to proceed to the preliminary round of judging the following week.
- February 26: Deadline for submissions for the competition.
- February 27 – March 5: The preliminary judging of all eligible submissions is conducted to determine the finalists.
- March 6: Finalists are notified.
- March 13: The final round takes place, live! Judges will vote to determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. The People’s Choice award will be chosen through live polling.